So the meeting I found very helpful we discussed;
- Looking into the history of game art ( there is a useful youtube channel of people discussing such things that i might find useful).
- Very early pixel art pre. 1985
- Varying pixel art styles
- pros and cons compared to things such as vector and 3d graphics
- Gamasutra - has various entries about things that may be related
- game studies books (introduction to game studies)
- the aesthetics of pixel art and nostalgia
So, after the meeting I feel like I understand what things I can research into.